GREETINGS! CHAPEL HILL PEDIATRICS-ADOLESCENTS COMMUNITY
The Novel Coronavirus Covid-19 has been keeping all of us at CHP on our toes working to ensure the well-being and safety of our patients! Working within the parameters of transition and change is the norm as we strive to balance recommendations designed to support our patients and their families. We are in uncharted territory as we move forward. Our goal is to stay informed and put scientifically based knowledge into action that will elevate our compassionate pediatric care — the hallmark of our clinic’s desire to offer “more than medicine.”
In mid-March, as we prepared for the unknown threat that Covid-19 would bring, we delayed many appointments. We know that rescheduling these appointments is challenging to all involved, so we appreciated your understanding then and ask for that understanding now.
The Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have recommended that Pediatric Well-Child Care be continued when provided within Covid-19 safety guidelines. Falling behind on routine care increases the risk of negative consequences involving growth, development, vaccine protection, emotional health, and physical well-being. These consequences affect young and older patients as well as those involved in athletics.
After thoughtful deliberation and planning, we believe that we can begin safely rescheduling well-child visits and physical examinations.
We ask that you comply with and support our adjustments to enhance safety as follows:
- Every person will be screened for symptoms via questions and temperature checks before entering our offices,
- Face coverings are required for everyone above 3 years.
- We will have separate exam rooms and pods for well children versus sick visits.
- The MDs seeing children with respiratory symptoms will wear PPE and will not be assigned to see well children on that same day. Sick children may be seen in their cars in the parking lot.
- All MDs and nurses will wear face coverings and gloves.
- Toys and books have been removed from exam rooms. However, parents can bring children’s personal items from home.
- Appointment times will be staggered to support social distancing.
- Topics outside of the well child physical exam such as ADHD medicine checks, allergies, asthma, constipation, atypical sleep patterns, headaches, etc. may be scheduled for telehealth appointments to allow for thoroughness and respect for social distancing.
- We have amplified triage and exam room cleaning between appointments. Furthermore, a professional cleaning group will be deep cleaning the office every night.
- Your vehicle in our parking lot will serve as the “waiting room.” Please check in via phone by dialing 919-942-4173 and alerting our office staff of your arrival.
- A nurse or MD will call to gather pre-visit details before you enter the office.
- One caregiver is invited to join each patient (one month and older) for a scheduled appointment in the office. Infants less than one month may have two adults accompanying.
- Hand sanitizers and washing stations are available in each exam room.
Nurses, doctors, and other staff members recognize the toll that social distancing has taken on everyone, and we are confident that this preventative mandate has been protective and is reducing transmission of COVID-19. Therefore, we encourage families to respect this distancing. Please be assured that Chapel Hill Pediatrics will continue to protect children and families during this challenging and unprecedented time. We welcome any suggestions you may have.