There are many Chapel Hill and Durham, NC community resources available to our patients to provide both information and financial assistance in obtaining healthcare for their child. As always, the advice nurses and care coordinators of Chapel Hill Pediatrics are happy to answer your questions and help you locate the patient resources and medical information you need.
Chapel Hill Pediatrics and Adolescents offers the following information to:
- Help our patients pay for pediatric healthcare and health insurance
- Find affordable solutions for prescription medications
- Find local specialists and allergists
Contact us to learn more!
Low-Cost Kids Health Insurance Programs
A variety of low-cost health insurance programs exists to pay for the health care needs of families who qualify. Medicaid and North Carolina Health Choice are two of the largest programs and cover a range of pediatric and health services.
Medicaid is a health insurance program for families and individuals whose income makes it difficult for them to afford health care. It is a publicly funded program governed by federal and state laws. Please see the Medicaid application information below.
North Carolina Health Choice for Children
North Carolina Health Choice (NCHC) for Children is North Carolina’s kids health insurance program. It is available to assist children under 19 who have no health insurance and whose family income prevents them from affording healthcare, but who are ineligible for Medicaid. NCHC coverage is through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, but it is administered through social services as it is a publicly-funded program governed by federal and state laws. This program may end or be frozen when funds are depleted.
Application Information for Medicaid & North Carolina Health Choice for Children
Both Medicaid and North Carolina Health Choice for Children are administered by the Department of Social Services of the county in which you reside. You may download applications from the above websites or the Social Services website of the county where you live, or call Social Services and have an application mailed to you. Following is a list of our closest county resources.
- Alamance County: 336-227-0101
- Chatham County: 919-542-8220
- Durham County: 919-560-7600
- Orange County: 919-732-8181
Medication & Prescription Drug Resources
Medications that your Chapel Hill or Durham pediatrician has prescribed are an important part of your child’s healthcare. If you are having difficulty paying for these prescriptions, please look into the following resources. If you are unable to get assistance from these resources, please let your pediatrician know before you discontinue the medication for your child.
- Together RX Access: This is a free prescription savings program for individuals without prescription drug coverage and/or who are not eligible for Medicare.
- Partnership for Prescription Assistance: 1-888-4PPA-NOW. A database of prescription savings programs created by pharmacists to help individuals afford medications, regardless of their prescription insurance coverage.
- Needy Meds: A database of assistance programs for individual prescription medications.
- North Carolina MedAssist: 1-704-536-1790. A program for North Carolina residents of any age who fall at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level and have no prescription coverage.
- North Carolina Department of Insurance: 1-800-546-5664. Local county Social Services Agency for Medicaid and North Carolina Health Choice:
Local Chapel Hill & Durham Allergists for Allergy Shots
The Chapel Hill Pediatrics and Adolescents care coordinators can assist our patients in finding local NC resources and specialists that offer the health services the patient needs. We are often asked about local allergists in Durham or Chapel Hill, NC who can administer allergy shots, and have compiled this list for convenient reference:
- Carolina Allergy and Asthma (493-6580)
6340 Quadrangle Drive, Suite 70
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
- Dr. Peter Bressler (401-6000)
5915 Farrington Road, Suite 106
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
- UNC Allergy (966-1401)
101 Manning Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Duke Allergy (684-9914)
Children’s Health Center
2301 Erwin Road
Durham, NC 27710
- Duke Asthma, Allergy, and Airway Center
4309 Medical Park Drive, Suite 100
Durham, NC 27704
With two pediatric center locations in Chapel Hill and Durham, NC, we see many patients from surrounding cities, including Mebane, Raleigh, Butner, Hillsborough, Carrboro, Creedmor, Pittsboro, Leesville, Wake Forest and beyond.