Chapel Hill Pediatrics and Adolescents take great pride in the care we offer adolescents. Our pediatricians and clinical staff strive to provide confidential and developmentally appropriate medical care to all ages. We provide excellent healthcare for teens and adolescents, which includes the stages of early adolescence (11-13), middle adolescence (13-17) and late adolescence (17-21).
We offer comprehensive annual physical exams that will meet school, sports, and college requirements.
Annual Physical Exams by Your Trusted Chapel Hill Pediatrician
We recommend that our adolescent patients meet with us for a routine annual physical exam, to check on their health and development. The physical will be conducted by your Chapel Hill Pediatrics and Adolescent’s primary care physician, so it’s always someone that you and your adolescent know and trust. Each of our physicians and nurses will make the visit as relaxed and comfortable as possible.
Our physical exams are composed of the following elements:
- A brief interview with adolescent and parent (if present)
- Expanded interview and physical exam with adolescent only
- Laboratory tests as indicated
- Wrap up session with adolescent and parent
The interview focuses on home, school/education, activities, friendships, diet/nutrition, sexual health/development, and mental health. If concerns with specific academic, emotional, physical, and/or social issues are identified in the physical exam and evaluation, a follow-up appointment will be recommended to continue appropriate evaluation and management.
Evaluations & Care for Adolescent & Teen Health Issues
Below please find a list of adolescent health issues that our pediatricians are prepared to identify, evaluate, provide medical testing, and provide treatment or refer as necessary.
- Endocrine Problems: Abnormal Growth/Development, Thyroid Disease, Gynecomastia
- Cardiovascular Problems: Hypertension, Heart Murmurs
- Dermatologic Disorder: Acne & Other Skin Conditions
- Neurologic Disorders: Headaches, Syncope, Vertigo, Seizures
- Urologic Disorders: Urinary Tract Infections, Enuresis, Hematuria, Proteinuria
- Infectious Diseases: Mononucleosis, Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Orthopedic: Scoliosis, Back Pain, Knee Pain, Sports Medicine Guidance
- Other: Fatigue, Recurrent Abdominal Pain, Chest Pain, Sleep Problems
- Acute Minor Illnesses: Flu, Coughs, Colds, Strep Throat, Infections
- Acute Minor Injuries/Lacerations: Ear Piercings, other piercings
- Nutrition/Weight Issues: Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Supplements, Weight Training, Anorexia, Bulimia
- Mental Health Screening: Depression, Anxiety, Attention Deficit Disorder, Eating Disorders, Substance Use/Abuse
- School Problems: Attention Deficit Disorder, Learning Disability, School Failure
- Adolescent Female Health Care: Pelvic Examinations, Sexually Transmitted Disease Screening & Treatment, Pregnancy Testing, Contraceptive Counseling, Abnormal Periods, Breast Disorders
- Adolescent Male Health Care: Scrotal Disorders, Sexually Transmitted Disease Screening & Treatment